Seven Oaks House is situated at 115 Rupertsland 1-1/2 blocks from Main St. It is open from the last weekend in May through to September Labour Day. 7 Days a week, 10:00am to 5:00pm.
Seven Oaks house is one of the oldest surviving residences in Manitoba and one of a handful of log buildings remaining which give a picture of life at Red River during the nineteenth century. Built in 1851-53 primarily of wood, the house had a stone foundation and stone lined cellar. The foundation in particular displayed remarkable workmanship, being held together simply by the cut of the stone. The restored dwelling is open to the public. It's furnishings, some of which are original, recapture something of the style of the mid 1850's.
John Inkster, owner, architect and builder of Seven Oaks House, was born in the Orkney Islands of Scotland in 1799. He arrived in the Northwest in 1821 as a Hudson's Bay Company servant, but soon became a farmer at the Red River Settlement. He married Mary Sinclair in 1826.