Claiming Ourselves Genealogy Project
A Metis Resource Centre Inc. project, based in the Metis Homeland of Manitoba
In Canada there is growing interest in one's cultural roots and heritage. People of different ethnic and cultural backgrounds are seeking ways and means to identify and connect with their ancestors. In recent years, many Metis people of Manitoba and Western Canada have also been searching for ways and means to establish their Metis ancestry. In response to these concerns, the Metis Culture & Heritage Resource Centre of Winnipeg initiated a research project that will have practical implications for all Metis people.
- Offer a genealogical research service to individuals wishing to establish their Metis ancestry.
- Research, compile, publish and distribute information pertaining to Metis families who are descended from the people who established themselves in the Red, Assiniboine and Saskatchewan River Valleys during the 19th century.
The Metis Resource Centres' Genealogical Researchers Primary Reference Sources:
- Federal government census records up to 1901
- Scrip applications and indexes
- Church and Parish records
- Voyageurs contracts and documents
- Hudson's Bay Biographies
- National and Provincial Archives
- Manitoba based research
For us to begin your research, please forward the following information:
Due to changes to the MCHRC's "Claiming Ourselves" genealogy service now requires photocopies of:
- Your long form Birth Certificate
- Your parents' long form Marriage Certificate
- Your family history information must date back to 1901.
- Metis genealogy research is compiled on only the direct family line for those Metis families that were in the Red, Assiniboine and Saskatchewan River Valley's. The map is here.
- Our genealogy is based on Metis Scrip applications. To learn more about Metis Scrip, and to check to see if you feel your family would have applied for this scrip please see our page on Metis Scrip records. The Metis Scrip page is here.
- Your full name and the full (given) names of your:
- Great Grandparents
- As many of the following as possible:
- Birth - when and where (Birth Certificates)
- Married - when and where (Marriage Certificate)
- Death - when and where (Death Certificate/Obituary)
- Any other information that could be useful.
Fees: (prices are subject to change)
$70.00 - Pick-up within Winnipeg
$70.00 + $5.00 postage/handling for mail orders within Manitoba
$80.00 + $5.00 postage/handling outside of Manitoba
$90.00 + $5.00 postage/handling in U.S. funds for U.S. citizens and all other countries.
*$30.00 non-refundable deposit required on all Genealogies. Once the deposit is received we will begin your research.
*All remaining monies (fee minus the $30.00 deposit) due within two weeks of notification that your family tree is ready for pick-up or delivery.
Average time for completion: 6 to 8 wks.
Your information may be submitted to us in the following manners:
- Online request form
- Fax: (204) 956-7765
- In person, or via land mail at:
c/o Metis Culture & Heritage Resource Centre Inc.
504 - 63 Albert Street, Winnipeg
Don't forget to include your full name, address and phone number!
Out of Town residents, please include your e-mail address if you do not wish to be contacted by collect call.
For more information please contact us at:
Phone: (204) 956-7767
Fax: (204) 956-7765